Last year, I wrote a blog post about what activities to do with your kids in Arizona during the hot summer months. We are now in the Winter season, where the mornings are crisp and the afternoon sun calls for the perfect outdoor activity. I took to Instagram to get some recommendations for Family Friday, but in general… just want to know what places you like to bring your kids when the weather is this perfect.
- McCormick-Stillman Railroad Park (Scottsdale, AZ): This is our absolute favorite. Train rides, carousel, playground, and a place to have a picnic and open grass to run around.
- Superstition Farm (Mesa, AZ): Petting zoo, hayride tour, farmers market, food truck.
- Rooster Cogburns Ostrich Ranch (Picacho, AZ): Petting zoo, feeding animals, stingray pool to feed and pet.
- Apple Annie’s Orchard (Wilcox, AZ): During the months of July, August, and September your family can pick fruit, veggies, pumpkins, etc. check out their website for additional details and timing.
- Visit your local Farmers Market (Old town, Mesa, Uptown Farmers Market, others).
- Renaissance Festival: Now in Arizona until end of March.
- Cracker Jax: Mini golf, cars, bumper boats, etc.
- Walk the greenbelt at Mountain View Park
- Out of Africa Wildlife Park (Camp Verde, AZ): Tour wildlife animals, zipline, etc.
- Enchanted Island Amusement Park (Phoenix, AZ): Games, carousel, amusement rides, pedal boats, train ride, and splash pad.
- Tempe Town Lake: Rent a paddle boat for $25 and kids can go too.
- Picnic and playground at a local park: Fountain Hill, Encanto Park, Anthem Park, Boyce Thomas, Singh Meadows, Arboretum, Chaparral Park.
- Wildlife World Zoo (Litchfield Park, AZ): Safari Park, Zoo, and Aquarium
- Phoenix Zoo (Phoenix, AZ): We are members and love to go when the weather is nice. Vivienne loves the carousel and seeing all the animals.
- Desert Botanical Gardens (Phoenix, AZ): Located by the zoo, walk and stroll to observe the beautiful flowers/plants.
- Goldfield Ghost Town (Apache Junction, AZ): Train ride, museum, and visit the Western old town.
- Freestone Park (Gilbert, AZ): Train, mini ferris wheel, carousel, playground
- Frontier Town (Cave Creek, AZ): Recommended by a follower and I did a little research to find some western shops, places to eat, etc. but noticed reviews stating that there isn’t much to do here other than a few places to stop in. Probably not ideal for small children.
- Go on a family hike. Some family friendly trails: Hole in the Rock, Phoenix Mountain Preserve (40th Street trailhead), Piestewa Peak (side by 32d street/Lincoln). These are the only ones I personally know that are friendly to kids- so would love any other recommended trails to suggest.
- MacDonald’s Ranch (Scottsdale, AZ): Horseback rides (starting age is 5), cookouts, pumpkin patch, coach rides.
I hope this was helpful to those of you traveling or just looking to get out of your neighborhood routine with kids. I know we love McCormick-Stillman, but I am actually really excited to try out some of the other parks as well…. even if its a little bit of a drive. As always, I would love feedback and any activity that I missed.