Tell me what’s worse than a child being sick? I can only imagine multiple kids being sick at the same time… and then add yourself to the mix. Entire family? Ugh, no! Yesterday, Vivienne and I both woke up feeling under the weather. I had a scratchy throat and Vivienne was congested and sneezing all over the place. Not ideal when you are all traveling to family in a couple days. So, I put everything down and it became my mission to get her better as soon as possible. Instead of sharing this on social media, I decided to make note of everything I was doing and the success rate later that evening/next morning.
- Vitamin C and Fluids. JJ ran to the store to get medicine and orange juice, while I grabbed the last orange in the fridge and immediately cut it up for breakfast. She had a couple bites and then denied the rest. Oh, toddlers. 30 minutes later, she took one sip of orange juice and said, “I don’t like it.” Typical. She’s clearly not a big fan of oranges. I then took advantage of my juicer and made her a green juice to drink. The ingredients: spinach, apple, lemon, cucumber, carrot, celery.
- Medicine. Every 4 hours we give Vivienne Hylands for Kids Cold and Cough (they also have it for babies too).
- We put a humidifier in the room when she naps and sleeps.
- Wash her bedding. To get rid of all the germs that she was putting on her bed the night before, she can now nap in a clean room and bed.
- In the morning, I put her in the bath with some lavender oil and let her nose clear.
- Have boogie wipes on hand for when the nose runs and sneezes happen.
- At night I did a steam shower with a little lavender oil and it cleared her up so well before bed.
- Keep them cozy and inside. You don’t want to spread the germs and get anyone else (especially other kids) sick. Pajamas all day if they are into it!
- Chicken noodle soup for lunch. This isn’t a must but it is soothing for their throat and Vivienne ate multiple bowls when she didn’t seem like she had much of an appetite.
- Let the schedule go. I really wanted Vivienne to relax and get better, so I put on a few movies in bed and kept telling her to drink her juice/water.
Other options you can try (but we didn’t do) :
- Saline spray and Nose Frida : Vivienne absolutely refused this yesterday… which is why we did extra steam showers and lavender oil to get her nose clear.
- Raise the mattress. We did this when Vivienne had RSV at 4 months, and you could do it with your toddler… but Vivienne moves around her bed too much and her pillow was help enough with raising her head.
- Take temperature and if it seems like he/she is really upset and in pain, see your doctor so you can rule out RSV or other sicknesses.