As I often mention in my blog posts, staying active is still a major part in my weekly routine. It gives me a healthy mind and body while I grow this beautiful little human. Our mind is a very powerful thing. How often do you look in the mirror one day when you don’t eat well or exercise and think, “I look fat.” Pregnant or not pregnant. Then the following day you eat healthy and manage to get yourself to the gym and the mirror sings a different tune? Have you miraculously gotten skinnier within 24 hours? No. It’s all in the mind. I believe a person will feel much happier and personally satisfied if they stay active and properly take care of themselves. Pregnant or not pregnant. Since us pregnant ladies are constantly growing in size, it can be challenging and important to keep your mind healthy in this process. The last couple of weeks I have seen a number on the scale that I’ve never seen in my life, and it’s only going to go up from here. I have zero care for gaining weight as I know it’s all for the baby and her health is my number one priority, buttttt the number can be alarming. Does anyone else feel this way?
Since I have slowed down the intensity of my workouts, what are my tips for staying motivated to exercise?
- Take it outside. I can’t stand running on a treadmill, so I opt for a 2 mile run outside instead. I also still enjoy a good hike when the weather is nice.
- If I am at the gym but am feeling unmotivated. It happens, but at least you made it to the gym. That’s step 1. The healthiest way to maintain being active while pregnant is walking. Sometimes I turn on my iPhone Bluetooth instead of my iPod and catch up on snap chat while I fast walk for 30-40 minutes on a treadmill. It’s better than doing that from the couch!
- If I am at the gym and feeling motivated. Leg days and arm days are what I cycle when I am feeling motivated. Although I have gone down to 10 pound dumbbells, I still do a lot of what I did before pregnancy. Bicep curls, lunges, squats… etc. just with a lower weight. If something feels wrong, stop.
- Force yourself. Some people have difficulty going to the gym and motivating themselves to exercise. Take a class which forces you to sign up, attend, and work out!
- Zero motivation. OK, when I’m running on absolutely no energy and I’d rather feel the feels with the mirror than physically go to the gym or “take it outside…” what do I do? Drink a lot of water that day and take the dogs for a long walk. They love it, you’ll feel better. Everyone is happy. No animals? Take your kids for a stroller ride, or go with your boyfriend/girlfriend/friend.
Hope some of these tips give you some motivation to stay active! Let me know if there’s something else that works better for you! I am always on the hunt for something new.